Friday 10 October 2008

Sorry iPhone

Having used an iPhone for a week now I thought it best to share my thoughts on the device as a replacement phone for the Samsung i600

In summary I love the iPhone and would buy one again for home/social use but I would prefer a different phone for business use – possibly the e71 which has all the functionality to make me more productive. If we had iPhones I would be out of touch after lunch when the battery ran out. Or we could install more sockets on desks!

iPhone
1. It’s very pretty and the navigation is a joy to use
2. Unlimited data access means I can access the web all the time. It’s helpful to immediately be able to call information to hand. It’s not good for viewing rich media as it doesn’t support flash.
3. I use it all the time to update networking sites. In fact I do this far more than I ever did before which can be distracting at work – great with friends
4. GPS – it’s not true satellite GPS so it doesn’t work in the country
5. The phone function is very poor. Difficult to hear, poor network coverage, quiet ringer.
6. Battery - I can’t use as a music player as the battery’s dead by 4pm. I would need two chargers, one either end of my journey, if this was my work phone
7. Email – it doesn’t store email which means I can’t read underground or when I’m out of reach of wifi or 3G connectivity
8. Text entry – the touch screen is not as easy to use as an alphanumeric key pad.
9. Lots of games widgets which unfortunately run the battery down before I get home. Not many business functions

What I need from a business phone
1. Download email to read offline
2. Download and view documents
3. Internet browsing
4. Real GPS – not cell tower detection
5. Easy and quick text entry

No comments: